Lowering healthcare's carbon footprint from transportation
Your choice of suction system can have a significant impact on your carbon footprint.
We at Serres support you in reaching your sustainability targets. We analyze the environmental impact of our actions and products throughout the smart fluid management lifecycle – from the design phase all the way until the end of the product lifecycle.
Transportation is one area where we can offer a more sustainable option.
Designing environmentally friendly suction solutions; lighter, thinner and foldable suction bags that can be packaged efficiently, result in optimized transportation and significant carbon emission reductions.
Because of smart design and thin materials, you can fit 6 times more Serres Suction Bags into a container compared to disposable rigid canisters of equal volume.
Smart design - 6 times more bags in a box
How did we make the comparison?
We compared conventional suction systems, such as disposable rigid canisters, to Serres suction bags and the environmental benefits are significant.
If you need 120 000 pcs Suction Disposal Solutions
- 120 000 disposable rigid canisters or
- 120 000 Serres disposable Suction bags
Your decision affects the needed number of transportation containers
- 12 containers to transport the traditional rigid canisters
- 2 containers to transport Serres Suction Bags.
And how did we calculate this?
Since you can fit 6 times more suction bags into box, you need less boxes, less pallets and finally less containers to transport the Serres Suction Bags.
- 10,080 pcs of 2l disposable rigid suction canisters / container
- 40 pcs of 2l disposable rigid canisters / pallet
- 40” container fits 12 pallets
Serres Suction Bags:
- 60,480 pcs of 2l disposable Serres Suction Bags / container
- 2,280 pcs of 2l disposable Serres Suction Bags / pallet
- 40” container fits 21 pallets
Let's assume disposable rigid canisters are manufactured in China, Serres Suction bags are made in FInland, and compare the environmental impact of sea freight from Finland and China to U.S. east coast.
- Helsinki–New York 7,838 km
- Shanghai-New York 19,611 km
Weight of containers:
- Empty 40” container weighs 3.75 tons
- Serres container weighs approx. 8.7 tons
- Disposable rigid canister container weighs approx. 7 tons
CO2 emission / container:
- Serres: 10 x 8.7 x 7838 = 682 kg of CO2
- Disposable rigid canisters: 10 x 7 x 19611 = 1373 kg of CO2
CO2 emission to deliver 120,000pcs of Serres Suction Bags vs disposable rigid canisters:
- Serres: 2 containers x 682 kg of CO2 = 1,364kg of CO2
- Disposable rigid canisters: 12 containers x 1,373 kg of CO2 = 16,476 kg of CO2
Optimized transportation - reach up to 92% reduction in Co2 emissions
Comparatively, 120 000 Serres Suction Bags transported from Helsinki to New York reduces CO2 emissions by 92% when compared to disposable rigid canisters shipped from China.
Your choice of suction system can have a significant impact on your carbon footprint. We at Serres help you by designing environmentally sustainable solutions; lighter, foldable and PVC free where applicable.
Learn more about our sustainability initiatives and read our latest sustainability report here